This pizza is unusual in that it is fried. The original recipe comes from Elizabeth David. It is a fast cook recipe and the dough is very quick to make, with no resting or proving required. It puffs up to a particularly delicious crisp crust in the frying pan. Toppings are added as the second side is frying. Cover with a tight fitting lid to get an instant oven effect. In 10 minutes your pizza is cooked to perfection! From the book Fast Food for Friends.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red onion
- 8 slices prosciutto (thin slices)
- 7 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 6 ounces flour, plus
- extra flour, for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- olive oil (for frying)
- 225 g passata (pureed tomatoes)
- 6 -8 anchovies packed in oil, drained
- 1 tablespoon small caper, drained
- basil leaves
- stoned black olives
- 1Cut the onion into thick slices, tear the proscuitto into strips and cut the mozzarella into slices. Set aside.
- 2Sift the flour along with the baking powder into a bowl Mix in a generous amount of salt and half the oregano. Make a well in the center and pour in about 100ml of cold water. With your figers gradually mix in the flour from the edges to make a smooth dough. You may need to adjust a bit with a little more water or flour to get a smooth elastic dough that does not stick to the fingers. Knead well for a minute or so on a floured surface. Roll out the dough to a thin round, large enough to fit the bottom of a large heavy skillet.
- 3Coat the bottom of the skillet with olive oil and heat over moderate to high heat.
- 4When the oil is hot, but not smoking, lift the dough, wrapped around a rolling pin and drop it carefully into the hot oil. You may have to rearrange it with a fork to fit flat in the pan.
- 5Fry briskly for a few minutes, until a good golden colour. Prick any air bubbles that rise with a fork and flatten them back down.
- 6Turn the dough over in the pan and reduce the heat to moderate. Spread with the passata, seasoning generously and sprinkling with the remaining oregano. Sprinkle with the onion slices and anchovy strips. Scatter on the capers. Arrange cheese slices over all. Tuck in the proscuitto strips and tear the basil strips and strew them over the top along with the olives to taste.
- 7cover with a tight lid and cook until the base is golden and the cheese has melted. Lift out carefully using two spatulas and drain on kitchen toweling. Cut into wedges to serve.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Deal Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 704.7
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 88.5 mg
- Sodium 2005.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 36.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: