Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This makes a great tasting soup that you will love! Adapted from the cooking show Big Daddy's House on Food Network. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 large onions, diced small
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced small
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups all-purpose flour (it originally called for 3 cups, but that's too much)
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef tenderloin, sliced lengthwise and cubed (you can use a less expensive cut of meat like stew meat or rump roast)
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup beef bouillon cube, powder
- 8 ounces sliced American cheese (or provolone cheese or sharp cheddar cheese)
- bread bowl, hollowed out, for serving (use the bread that you hollowed out to make croutons!) (optional)
- sliced chives, to garnish
- chopped fresh parsley leaves, to garnish
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat oil. Add onions and saute for 2 to 3 minutes on high until fragrant and tender.
- In a large bowl, mix salt, pepper, flour, onion powder, and garlic powder together. Add meat to seasoned flour. Dredge to coat and add flour(start with the 1 1/2 cups flour) and meat to pot with onions and green bell pepper.
- Saute on medium high heat until meat is lightly browned, stirring frequently for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add water and beef bouillon to pot and continue to cook and stir on high until soup begins to thicken(if not thick enough, add a little flour at a time till desired thickness). Bring to a boil. Turn heat off and add cheese. Cover the pot with a lid and allow the cheese to sit and melt.
- Pour into bread bowls and garnish with chives and parsley. Enjoy!
What a nice soup recipe!! Different than most soups, my husband and I really enjoyed it. I used about 1 1/2 cups flour, used beef stew meat, and provolone cheese. The cheese was sooo stringy and melty -- a little messy to eat but so delicious. I used just under 1 TB of salt but still found it way to salty, so next time I'd just leave it out since the beef bouillon has plenty. Thanks for sharing this delicious comforting soup recipe!
Nice soup!! Great on a COLD DAY. We had this in Bread Machine Bread Bowls, which made it even more enjoyable.Thanks!
Made for holiday Tag. I saw Big Daddy make this on his show and could'nt wait to make it...ty so much for posting it.YUM YUM.