Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious, simple to make and an enormous hit. These are a really special savory scone that can be made regular size or bite-sized. Great hot or cold, but when these are still warm, they are incredible!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees farenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- NOTE: The substitute for self-rising flour is 3 cups of flour, 3 3/4 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 tsp.).
- Combine flour, salt and pepper. Toss shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and scallions into dry mixture and toss to coat.
- Grate the butter on a box grater and toss into the dry mixture until coated and separated. Stir in buttermilk and stir just until ingredients are incorporated.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and with floured hands, quickly shape into a rectangle approximately 9 x 12". Cut into three strips horizontally, and again into four vertical strips. Cut across each square on a diagonal to get wedges. (For a buffet or snack, cut into 2" squares.).
- Place wedges onto parchment lined baking sheets and brush with the beaten egg, then sprinkle with sea salt (not regular table salt, if possible.) Bake for 17 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.