Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A basic dried bean recipe for the slow cooker. Seasoned with smoked turkey pieces, this is a lower fat recipe with plenty of flavor.
- Sort and rinse beans with 3 waters (from one container to another 3 times).
- Place in a 5 to 6 quart crock pot with soaking water overnight (my preference, but it can be cooked without pre-soaking).
- Note: a 4 quart crock pot will be absolutely full, but I have used a 4 quart pot.
- Drain soaking water and add water to cover by 1 to 1.5 inches.
- Add smoked turkey pieces.
- Cook for 10 hours on low.
- Add salt and peppers to taste.
- Note: I have used cumin, thyme, and oregano for seasoning, but basic salt and pepper is very good).
- Serve with cornbread.
This is a good base recipe, I prefer more herbs and spices for flavor. The turkey was good as a low fat ingredient but I prefer ham or bacon. Thanks Red for a good recipe.