6 hrs 40 mins
Steel Magnolia's Note:
This jerky is wonderful...just spicy enough to be flavorful but not so spicy that it is too hot for the kids.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs very lean beef or 3 lbs venison (deer #65279)
- 1 (10 ounce) bottle soy sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) bottle Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of morton hot salt
- 2 -4 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper (depending on taste)
- 1 fluid ounce Southern Comfort
- 1Meat Preparation:.
- 2Freeze beef or venison for 45 minutes to 1 hour, to a soft frozen stage.
- 3While in this soft frozen state, clean meat of all fat.
- 4Then slice the meat with the grain in 3/16" to 1/4" thick slices that are approximately 1 1/2" wide and no more than 6" long.
- 5Divide meat in half and place meat slices evenly into 2 separate one gallon ziplock bags and refrigerate.
- 6For Marinade:.
- 7Mix all remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- 8Remove meat filled ziplocks from refrigerator and pour 1/2 of marinade mixture into each bag, making sure to coat all meat strips evenly.
- 9Reseal bags and return to refrigerator to marinade for at least 2 hours and no more than 24 hours.
- 10To Dehydrate:.
- 11Drain all marinade off of meat strips in a collander and then squeezing the meat to remove even more.
- 12Place the meat strips onto papertoweling and use another papertowel to blot as much excess marinade from meat as possible.
- 13The dryer the meat, the faster the drying process.
- 14Now place jerky in your dehydrator and allow to dry for 6-10 hours, depending on the thickness of your strips, the liquid you removed in the draining process and the power of your dehydrator.
- 15Before storing, let the jerky cool completely then you can store in ziplock bags, jars or with a vaccuum sealer.
- 16If allowed to set for 48 hours, the flavor of the jerky will develop and for the jerky to remoisturize a bit after the drying process.
- 17Jerky will keep for up to 2 years in a cool, dark place.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Country Jerky
Serving Size: 1 (2040 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2029.8
- Calories from Fat 610
- Total Fat 67.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 642.3 mg
- Sodium 26754.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 33.8 g
- Protein 254.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: