Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 8 ounces extra lean ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 cup canned fat-free refried beans
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a bowl, lightly mix together meat and beans with a fork until well combined.
- Mix in onion, garlic, jalapeño, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- (Be careful not to over-mix or you will end up with a tightly-compacted mixture that tastes unpleasant; it should be light.) Gently form mixture into four 4-inch patties.
- Cook burgers on pre-heated grill or ridged grill pan, turning them once, until a meat thermometer inserted in their centers registers 160 degrees (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Hot burgers crumble easily, so handle carefully, using a wide spatula.
- Serve immediately, preferably on toasted buns, topped with sliced tomato and onion plus some well-drained salsa.