Recipe by kmdipaolo
This makes a great muffins which is low in calories. It makes a ton, but will keep in the refrigerator up to a month.
- 15 ounces all-bran cereal
- 2 cups raisins
- 6 pitted dried dates, finely chopped
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda, plus
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk (1.5%)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade spreadable fruit
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine cereal, raisins and dates; pour in boiling water and stir until softened.
- Set aside.
- In another large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt; make well in center and set aside.
- In food processor or blender, combine 1 cup of the buttermilk, the eggs and spreadable fruit; puree until smooth.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into separate large bowl and add the remaining cup buttermilk, the applesauce, sugar, oil and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Pour into well in flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Add reserved cereal mixture and stir just to combine.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 24 hours before using.
- When ready to use, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray twenty-four 2 3/4" muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared cups, filling each about two-thirds full; bake until golden brown and puffy, 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool 2 minutes, then remove to wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
- Repeat with remaining batter to make 60 muffins, or cover and refrigerate remaining batter for up to 1 month.