Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe comes from the 'Dr. Fishbone Recipe Book' and is a collection of favorites from the Carolina's. I am placing it here for safe-keeping, it looks simple enough to be a tasty, easy soup to prepare.
- 4 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, undrained
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork or 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 3 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a skillet, saute the meat and onion until brown, drain and put in a slow cooker with the clams and juice. Add celery, water, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 3 hours on high or until vegetables are tender. During the last hour of cooking add the half and half and cornstarch that you have blended together. Be sure to heat through before serving. Garnish with the parsley and serve with crusty French bread of crackers.
Great flavor, but just a bit too "brothy" for me. I even used the clam juice with the water to equal 3 cups. I think it needs much more celery, clams and onions..... maybe even the classic diced potato. It was a nicely flavored soup, though. Thanx!