An extremely hearty, aromatic and very flavorful rustic type soup/stew. My dear big brother has developed this recipe over the years by adding & subtracting ingredients and perfecting his version! I'm honored that I was able to persuade him to write out and share the recipe! It's a stick-to-your-ribs meal in itself but be sure to serve with crusty peasant bread and a big salad! Nothing subtle about THIS "stoup"! I do believe he adapted this recipe from some of the soups and stews our mother and grandmother made (both restaurateurs)-and that may account for the quantity!!!
- 2267.96-2721.55 g chuck roast (not too lean) or 2267.96-2721.55 g stewing beef, in 1-inch to 2-inch cubes (not too lean)
- 2267.96 g white potatoes, in 1-inch cubes with skins
- 2267.96 g frozen mixed vegetables
- 836.31 g can corn or 453.59 g bag frozen corn
- 1 medium firm head of cabbage, in 1-1 1/2-inch cubes
- 113.39 g jarof minced garlic
- 2 (1644.27 g) can diced tomatoes (if you like a little kick-use Tomatoes with green chili's)
- 6 medium onions, quartered
- 44.37 ml dried Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 1403.30 g canswanson's beef broth
- Large stock Pot (4 gal or more).
- Brown beef, put in stock pot, add frozen veggies, garlic and potatoes, stirring to mix, then add onions, cabbage and stir in seasonings. Add broth to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 hours until potatoes and meat are tender.
- Makes approximately 3-31/2 gal. Feeds 10-12 "stoup" lovers. Serve with fresh baked bread or crackers with REAL butter -- to heck with cholesterol (his words!). Even better the next day!
This soup was hearty and delicious. I had to seriously scale the recipe down, though, as it really makes a lot! I scaled it for 2-3 people (which actually served more like 4-5), using 1-1/2 lbs. beef, etc. It went together very quickly, and just sat on the stove, smelling wonderful while it cooked. This would probably turn out well in a crock pot. The consistency was of a very thick soup. This made for wonderful meals! Thanks for sharing. Made for My 3 Chefs 2012.