1/1 Photo of Big Brother Ted's Veggie Beef "stoup"!
2 hrs 20 mins
An extremely hearty, aromatic and very flavorful rustic type soup/stew. My dear big brother has developed this recipe over the years by adding & subtracting ingredients and perfecting his version! I'm honored that I was able to persuade him to write out and share the recipe! It's a stick-to-your-ribs meal in itself but be sure to serve with crusty peasant bread and a big salad! Nothing subtle about THIS "stoup"! I do believe he adapted this recipe from some of the soups and stews our mother and grandmother made (both restaurateurs)-and that may account for the quantity!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 lbs chuck roast (not too lean) or 5 -6 lbs stewing beef, in 1-inch to 2-inch cubes (not too lean)
- 5 lbs white potatoes, in 1-inch cubes with skins
- 5 lbs frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (29 1/2 ounce) can corn or 1 (1 lb) bag frozen corn
- 1 medium firm head of cabbage, in 1-1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (4 ounce) jar of minced garlic
- 2 (29 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (if you like a little kick-use Tomatoes with green chili's)
- 6 medium onions, quartered
- 3 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can swanson's beef broth
- 1Large stock Pot (4 gal or more).
- 2Brown beef, put in stock pot, add frozen veggies, garlic and potatoes, stirring to mix, then add onions, cabbage and stir in seasonings. Add broth to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 hours until potatoes and meat are tender.
- 3Makes approximately 3-31/2 gal. Feeds 10-12 "stoup" lovers. Serve with fresh baked bread or crackers with REAL butter -- to heck with cholesterol (his words!). Even better the next day!
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Brother Ted's Veggie Beef "stoup"!
Serving Size: 1 (1031 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 846.1
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 1387.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.2 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 68.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning