Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Found this recipe in some newspaper years ago. We love it. Won at our church chili cook-off two years in a row. Highly recommend serving with the optional items listed below. Unsure of yield.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, diced 1/2-inch
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 lbs stew meat, 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, crushed with juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 -8 cups cooked rice (optional)
- 8 scallions, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Place oil in large Dutch oven over low heat. Add onion, red peppers, and garlic and wilt about 5 minutes. Remove vegetables and set aside.
- Raise heat to medium and in small batches brown beef seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Return wilted vegetables to pot. Add tomatoes, paste, broth, wine, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook partially covered 1 1/2 hours over medium-low heat. Cook uncovered 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste. Remove from heat and add parsley.
- Serve over rice with options to add scallions, sour cream and cheese.