Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from Rachael Ray off her tv show. I assume using Speghgetti instead of bucatini will still turn out great. This recipe looks is irresistably good. I guessed on the servings and cooking time because I have not made the recipe yet.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 2 small yellow onions, 1 grated and 1 finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, a couple of overflowing handfuls
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus some to pass at table
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves, 4 to 6 sprigs
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped, divided (couple of generous handfuls)
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 lb bucatini pasta (thick, hollow spaghetti)
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, chopped
- 12 cremini mushrooms (baby portobello mushroom caps)
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine, eyeball it
- 1 cup beef stock
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, San Marzano if available
- Preheat 400 degrees F. Place a large pot of water over high heat and
- bring to a boil.
- Mix meat with the grated onion, 3 cloves chopped garlic, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, allspice,
- capers, sage, a handful of the chopped parsley, salt and pepper and a healthy drizzle of
- extra-virgin olive oil. Mix meat, score the meat into 4 sections and make 3 very large balls from
- each section. Arrange the 12 balls on a nonstick cookie sheet and roast 15 minutes until firm but
- not hard.
- Drop bucatini in salted boiling water to cook off. Drain.
- Add another tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil to the skillet and the pancetta. Cook 3 to 4
- minutes then add the remaining garlic and mushrooms to the pan and cook 5 minutes. Season the
- mushrooms with salt and pepper. Add remaining chopped onion and deglaze the pan with wine, cook off
- 1 minute, add in stock and whisk up remaining drippings. Stir in the tomatoes and season sauce with
- salt and pepper, if necessary. Stir in parsley. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Toss pasta with half the sauce. Remove balls from oven and add to remaining sauce and turn to coat.
- Serve large balls, 3 per person, along side pasta. Spoon any remaining sauce over the pasta. Pass
- extra cheese at the tables.