Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In 'The Book of Burger' by Rachael Ray; says makes 4 servings, I say more like 6-8.
Make and share this Big Beef Burgers With Crunchy Sour Cream Onion Rings recipe from Food.com.
Sour Cream Onion Rings
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1-inch thick slices and separated into rings
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped chives (or scallions, white and green parts)
- kosher salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 lbs coarse-ground beef chuck
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Red Ranch Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 3 -4 tablespoons finely chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as chives, parsley, dill)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- hot sauce
- 4 brioche rolls, split (or other burger rolls)
- chopped crisp lettuce
- Make the onion rings-fill a countertop fryer with oil or pour a few inches of oil into a large Dutch oven.
- Heat the oil to 350° (the oil is ready when a 1-inch cube of white bread cooks to golden brown in 40 seconds).
- Combine buttermilk and sour cream in a bowl and add the onion rings; soak for a few minutes.
- On a plate, toss the flour with the chives; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Dip the onion rings in the seasoned flour, then again in the buttermilk, and again in the flour.
- Fry 1 or 2 rings at a time in the hoi oil, turning once, until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Make the burgers-heat a large skillet or griddle over med-high heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, Worcestershire sauce, lots of pepper, and a little salt; mix thoroughly.
- Score the mixture into 4 equal portions and form them into patties slightly thinner at the center than at the edges for even cooking and to ensure a flat surface.
- Drizzle the patties with olive oil.
- Cook the burgers, flipping once, 10 minutes for medium.
- While the burgers cook, make the dressing; in a small bowl combine the buttermilk, sour cream, ketchup, garlic, herbs, and lemon juice; season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- Place the burgers on the roll bottoms and top with the lettuce, onion rings, and ranch dressing.
- Set the roll tops in place.