1 hr 10 mins
In 'The Book of Burger' by Rachael Ray; says makes 4 servings, I say more like 6-8.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Sour Cream Onion Rings
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1-inch thick slices and separated into rings
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives (or scallions, white and green parts)
- kosher salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
Red Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 3 -4 tablespoons finely chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as chives, parsley, dill)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- hot sauce
- 4 brioche rolls, split (or other burger rolls)
- chopped crisp lettuce
- 1Make the onion rings-fill a countertop fryer with oil or pour a few inches of oil into a large Dutch oven.
- 2Heat the oil to 350° (the oil is ready when a 1-inch cube of white bread cooks to golden brown in 40 seconds).
- 3Combine buttermilk and sour cream in a bowl and add the onion rings; soak for a few minutes.
- 4On a plate, toss the flour with the chives; season generously with salt and pepper.
- 5Dip the onion rings in the seasoned flour, then again in the buttermilk, and again in the flour.
- 6Fry 1 or 2 rings at a time in the hoi oil, turning once, until golden, about 4 minutes.
- 7Transfer to a rack to cool.
- 8Make the burgers-heat a large skillet or griddle over med-high heat.
- 9In a large bowl, combine the beef, Worcestershire sauce, lots of pepper, and a little salt; mix thoroughly.
- 10Score the mixture into 4 equal portions and form them into patties slightly thinner at the center than at the edges for even cooking and to ensure a flat surface.
- 11Drizzle the patties with olive oil.
- 12Cook the burgers, flipping once, 10 minutes for medium.
- 13While the burgers cook, make the dressing; in a small bowl combine the buttermilk, sour cream, ketchup, garlic, herbs, and lemon juice; season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- 14Place the burgers on the roll bottoms and top with the lettuce, onion rings, and ranch dressing.
- 15Set the roll tops in place.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Beef Burgers With Crunchy Sour Cream Onion Rings
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 889.7
- Calories from Fat 465
- Total Fat 51.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 191.2 mg
- Sodium 641.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 50.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed fresh herbs