Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
Great for a potluck or bar-b-que! This recipe feeds alot of people and is very forgiving as you can easily double the recipe and substitute with what you have on hand. It can be cooked in a crockpot or in the oven. Substitute bacon with ham or sausages of your choice and use black beans if you wish.
Top Review by Sassychef1948
I was going to post this recipe for safe keeping (and to get the nutritional facts) until I found yours. Thank you! These baked beans have a wonderful flavor. It's the only recipe I've used for years. It is always requested for 4th of July picnics and barbeques. Even those who don't care for baked beans love these. Maybe it's the cider vinegar that adds that special zing. A must try recipe!
- 3⁄4 lb cooked and crumbled bacon
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard or 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup or 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can butter beans, drained (white lima beans)
- 2 (21 ounce) cans pork & beans