Recipe by Steve P.
Great way to make up a large batch of tomato sauce from your garden to freeze or can for later use.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cups tomatoes, peeled,cored,and chopped,approximately
- 3 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pan.
- Saute onions and garlic until tender.
- Add rest of ingredients.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- After it has simmered, cool completely and store in freezer bags or containers in increments that you find best for your family; (When ready to use, thaw and heat).
- Or process in a boiling covered canner for 35 minutes
- Favorite ingredients can be added like sliced mushrooms, cooked/drained sausage, hamburger, etc.
- This sauce is great for any Italian dish.
- Great as a sauce for pasta and as a pizza sauce.