1/1 Photo of Big Batch Salsa (For Canning)
3 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My mom and I have made this salsa for years. This is the easiest way to can a big batch of salsa. Instead of cooking pots full of salsa on the stove and worrying that it will scorch on the bottom, this method slowly simmers one batch in an 18 qt. electric roaster (a church dinner style roaster). This is a thick, medium heat salsa that is slightly sweet. It is a staple in my holiday gift baskets. In fact, I get complaints from friends, family, and neighbors when I do not include it or if I run out before the next canning season! This year I made four batches - 52 quarts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 quarts tomatoes, cored, peeled, and crushed (about 1 1/2 to 2, 5-gallon buckets of tomatoes)
- 6 cups onions, chopped (about 4 large onions)
- 2 cups jalapeno peppers, chopped (25-30 peppers, seeded)
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3/4 cups white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 30 ounces tomato paste
- 1Fill roaster with tomatoes, crushing with hands or with an emersion blender as you add them to the pan.
- 2Add onions, jalapenos, garlic, vinegar, sugar, salt, and tomato paste. (Note: Sometimes I need to let the tomatoes cook down before adding the sugar, vinegar, and tomato paste so that it will fit in the roaster.
- 3Simmer 2 to 5 hours to desired thickness. Stir occasionally, scraping sides of roaster so that it does not burn. Adjust salt, sugar, and peppers to taste. You can add tomato juice if it becomes too thick.
- 4Ladle hot salsa into jars, leaving ¼-inch head space.
- 5Clean rim with damp cloth. Adjust two-piece caps.
- 6Place jars in a hot water bath. Process 15 minutes (pints) or 20 minutes (quarts), after water comes to a boil.
- 7Remove jars from hot water bath. After 12 hours, check seal, remove bands, and label.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Batch Salsa (For Canning)
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 104
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 36.7
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 339.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 1.4 g