Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Freeze in 1 to 2 cup portion containers or in loose pieces as directed below so you can scoop out as much as you need in your favourite pasta sauce, chili, soup or casserole recipe.
- Cook ground beef in stockpot or Dutch oven, using medium-high heat for 9 to 10 minutes, breaking into small chunks with back of spoon until browned and completely cooked.
- Drain in colander.
- Return to pot and add onion and garlic; simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Spread mixture out in a single layer onto several foil-lined baking trays; cover loosely with plastic wrap and freeze just until meat is firm (about 1 hour).
- Loosen frozen beef into chunks and scoop into freezer bags or containers.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Add frozen beef to recipes calling for browned ground beef, you may need to increase the recipes cooking time slightly.
I freeze mine in 2c. Portions for fatter meat and 2-1/2c. For leaner meat,these portions equal 1# of raw meat
I have also been doing this for years. It is really a blessing to have the meat already cooked and ready to "season" for a quick meal. I use it to make taco salad, sloppy joe, loose meat sandwiches, scrambled burgers, chili, and all kinds of homemade hamburger helper type dishes. You can have dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes with some pre-browned ground beef. I am glad you thought to post this as a recipe too.