Recipe by BrotherAdso
An adaptation of an excellent bran muffin recipie on this site, this was developed to feed a bunch of people or for freezing, since it's ultra-cheap. It was also an attempt to replicate the Raisin Bran Muffins at a local coffee shop -- which worked brilliantly, bwahaha!
- 1 (20 ounce) box Raisin Bran cereal or 8 -9 cups Raisin Bran cereal
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour or 2 -2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons allspice
- 5⁄8 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 4 tablespoons artificial vanilla flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400, prep a muffin tin.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of skim milk and 1/2 cup buttermilk.
- Mix remaining buttermilk and skim milk with cereal. Allow to sit through following steps.
- Sift together sugar, brown sugar, flours, baking soda, baking powder, spices. Make sure everything is evenly mixed and distributed.
- Beat together eggs, molasses, vanilla, oil, and the reserved milk from step one. Change the amount of oil as desired – these work well as both lowfat muffins and as high-rising, moist, munchy indulgent muffins with the full amount. 2/3 cup is a good compromise.
- Add the flour-sugar dry mixture to the soaked bran flakes. Stir.
- Add the oil-egg-milk wet mixture to the batter. Stir.
- Add more raisins to taste, more whole wheat flour or milk to adjust consistency of batter.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes per batch in the 400 degree oven.