1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Good old Manhattan Clam Chowder. I've heard that some claim this chowder originated on Long Island, but trust me, Long Island Clam Chowder is a mix of Manhattan style and New England style. Serve with oyster crackers or Saltines.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups clams, chopped and juice reserved
- 1/4 cup salt pork (1 2-inch piece) or 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes (canned) or 2 cups diced tomatoes, with their liquid (canned)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco sauce
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Drain the clams; reserving both the clams and their liquid separately (you will need about 6 cups of clam liquid reserved from the chopped clams - if there is not sufficient liquid from the clams, add enough water to the reserved amount to measure 6 cups, or use bottled clam juice).
- 2Cook the salt pork or bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until the fat renders.
- 3Add onion and saute about 5 minutes.
- 4Add celery, bell pepper, carrot and garlic and cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 5Add the stewed tomatoes, including their liquid, reserved clam juice, oregano and thyme; cook 15 minutes.
- 6Add the potatoes and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- 7Add reserved clams and simmer 10 minutes, no longer (clams will toughen).
- 8Season with hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Big Apple Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.3
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 217.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt & freshly ground black pepper