Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Big batch, big chocolate chunks, big taste.
- 2 cups butter or 2 cups margarine, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 4 cups all-purpose flour or 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 milk chocolate candy bars (cut in large chunks)
- 3 chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375 digrees.
- In a very large bowl, cream butter.
- Gradually add sugars, creaming thoroughly.
- Beat eggs, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Grind rolled oats to a powder in blender or food processore, working with a third of the total amount at a time.
- Measure the flour; remove about 1/4 cup (50 mL) and set aside.
- Add remaining flour to powdered oats; stir to combine well.
- Stir into creamed mixture.
- Add reserved flour until dough is stiff and no longer sticky.
- In another bowl, combine the chocolate chips, chocolate chunks and nuts.
- Add to dough and mix in.
- Bake a test cookie.
- It should spread to about 3 inches (7 cm) in diameter.
- Shape dough into balls the size of a golf ball.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and press gently.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden on the bottem and still pale on the top.
- For chewy cookies, do not overbake.
- Let stand for 2-3 minutes before transferring to racks to cool.
- Makes 9-10 dozen.