Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great meatless sandwich that is open to interpretation!
- Slice your favorite baguette.
- Douse with a balsamic vinaigrette (however you like your vinaigrette; I like garlic and shallots) Add thinly sliced tomatoes.
- Add a layer of roasted red peppers.
- Add a generous layer of sliced, fresh mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with herbs (thyme is good with this, or oregano) and salt and pepper.
- BIG AL is best when the flavors have had time to meld.
- It is one of the few sandwiches I make or order when eating at a local restaurant.
Only way I could improve on this, and I will next time, is to toast the bread first. Great sandwich. MUST be made with fresh mozzarella (bocconcini) if you can get it.
Following the suggestions of the previous reviewers, I first warmed the baguette in the oven. I used all the ingredients listed, except for using some of my Marinated Greek Feta Recipe #141627 instead of the mozzarella cheese, and I scattered some fresh thyme on top. A few friends and I thoroughly enjoyed this with a glass of champagne for a pre-Christmas brunch. I’ll be making it again for weekend brunches, be they solo or shared brunches! Thanks for sharing this quick to make, sensational brunch dish or snack.
This was excellent! I served it open-faced and, as recommended by Sugarpea, I toasted the baguette in the oven before assembling. Instead of a balsamic vinaigrette, I used Kraft Roasted Red Pepper With Parmesan Dressing & Marinade. Thanx MQ!