Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
From the Oct. 3, 2008 edition of Athens' Plus magazine.
- 1 kg beef, minced (or 700 g beef and 300 g pork)
- 2 eggs (preferably organic)
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 cup fresh parsley or 1 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- pepper, freshly ground
- Saute the onion in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until it turns golden.
- In a large deep bowl, mix the minced meat, the sauted onion, the eggs, tomatoes and herbs with your hands and season.
- Wet your hands with cold water and knead the mix until it is light and fluffy. Then let it settle in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Rub your hands with olive oil and form the biftekia so that they are all the same size, but not too thick.
- Grill or bake for 6-8 minutes on each side.