Prep 5 mins
Cook 11 mins
- 2 slices bread, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 2 lbs minced beef or 2 lbs minced pork
- 1 large grated onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint
- chopped parsley
- black pepper
- 1 lemon (to garnish)
- Squeeze excess moisture from the bread and discard the crusts.
- Mix together all the ingredients, in a bowl, by hand.
- Let this mixture stand for half an hour if you have the time.
- Make large, round, flattened hamburgers and grill under a hot grill, approximately 3 minutes on each side; or even better place them on an oiled grid and barbecue them approximately 5-6 minutes on each side, according to the strength of the fire.
- They should be slightly undercooked inside and moist; turn them over once, but do not let them get scorched.
- Serve them with quartered lemons on the side of the platter, with some fresh salad.
I make these with ground turkey and they're delicious-- so much flavor.
My husband is from Greece and he was very happy with these - very authentic recipe. We cooked them on a countertop electric grill - seems to work well and doesn't take long. We substituted ground turkey, which probably changes the flavor/texture somewhat - but we like it just as well.