Recipe by Teddy's Mommy
I couldn't find one that sounded like mom made so I searched the internet and found this one, it's quite close. I found it at: http://www.knitting-and.com. It does not say how many it makes, so I am guessing on the quantity. It also does not say exactly how long to cook the meat so I am guessing there too :-(
- 1 large head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 -4 lbs roast beef
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, salt and pepper the roast on both sides.
- Brown off roast on both sides.
- Add water to cover and braise on stove top or a 350 degree oven until well cooked.
- Set aside and cool.
- When cool, shred the beef and remove all fat.
- In another large skillet, sauté the onions and garlic until onion is almost golden brown.
- Add the shredded cabbage and cook until limp.
- Add salt, pepper and shredded beef to the cabbage mixture and let stand until cool.
- Cut the loaves into 4 sections each and let rise.
- Roll out each section into an 8 inch square.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling onto the square and roll up, folding the sides in to form a tight seal.
- Set the Bierocks aside to rise again.
- Place the bierocks on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking oil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- If you like a crusty bierock, spray the rolls with water just as they begin to brown. This may be repeated during the browning process.
- Serve hot.