1/1 Photo of Bierkutscher Rouladen (Beer Coachman Roulade - Pork Roulade)
1 hr 15 mins
Tea Girl's Note:
This is a recipe my husband likes to make, it is good when you have guests because you don't really have to keep an eye on it after it is in the pot. Some of the measures are approximate because it just done on how it looks. Malzbier is a sweet non-/low alcohol beer, regular beer won't do because of the sweetness of Malzbier. I know it is hard to get in the US so if you find a suitable substitute, please tell me because my parents live there and like this recipe. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large apple (Granny smith seems to be best)
- 300 g wine-cured sauerkraut, drained (you can use normal sauerkraut but is better with wine sauerkraut)
- 150 g creme fraiche
- 12 slices bacon (thin slices)
- 900 g thin pork fillets, 6 fillets (about 1/2 cm thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500 ml malt beer (Malzbier)
- 1 liter vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (we usually just use something called sauce thicker)
- 1Peel the apples, remove core and chop into small cubes.
- 2In a large bowl, mix wine sauerkraut, crème fraîche and apples together.
- 3Lay flat the pork fillets, lay two pieces of bacon on the fillets and top with sauerkraut mixture.
- 4Roll up lengthwise, and put together toothpicks, usually 3 work, one on each end and one in the middle, but you might need more for bigger pieces.
- 5Heat oil in a pan and light fry on all sides.
- 6Meanwhile, heat up the Malzbier and Vegetable broth in a large pot.
- 7After fried, put in pot with Malzbier and Vegetable broth, add water or more Malzbier to cover Rouladen.
- 8Cook for about an hour at a simmer.
- 9Remove Rouladen and put some of the liquid in a small sauce pan.
- 10Heat and whisk in sauce thicker until thick, add more sauce thicker, if necessary. If you are using cornstarch, dissolve first in cold water and then add to sauce.
- 11Serve Rouladen with sauce on top and with Knödel (dumplings) or Spätzle.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bierkutscher Rouladen (Beer Coachman Roulade - Pork Roulade)
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 585.2
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 159.5 mg
- Sodium 467.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 37.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: