Recipe by Oxford
Do not over-crowd the pot, and make in small batches. This takes more time but produces a much better product. This restaurant at Disney was kind enough to share this with us. It is so simple, but excellent.
Top Review by Laura Sz
This was excellent. Really fun to make with my kids and very tasty. The only thing I did wrong was to put it all in the pan to fry at once. It really needs to be broken up and done a little at a time. We are having so much fun with recipezaar and great recipes like this one. Thank you for sharing.
- 10 whole eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup semolina flour or 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the all-purpose flour and semolina (corn meal) flour together then add the salt and incorporate well.
- Mix in the water and eggs until you have a firm but wet consistency.
- In a 10 quart pot, fill 3/4 quarters full with water add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and bring to a boil.
- Using a spatle press or a large-holed colander press the spatzle dough through the holes. Do this in small batches as not to over-crowd the pot of water.
- The spatzle will be cooked when it floats to the top of the water. This happens very quickly.
- Remove each batch from the water with a slotted spoon into a bowl/container with a top over it to keep it warm.
- Drain any excess water from the cooked spatzle.
- Saute the cooked spatzle in a pan with butter, until it begins to turns golden brown and slightly crunchy.
- Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley.