Do not over-crowd the pot, and make in small batches. This takes more time but produces a much better product. This restaurant at Disney was kind enough to share this with us. It is so simple, but excellent.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the all-purpose flour and semolina (corn meal) flour together then add the salt and incorporate well.
- 2Mix in the water and eggs until you have a firm but wet consistency.
- 3In a 10 quart pot, fill 3/4 quarters full with water add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and bring to a boil.
- 4Using a spatle press or a large-holed colander press the spatzle dough through the holes. Do this in small batches as not to over-crowd the pot of water.
- 5The spatzle will be cooked when it floats to the top of the water. This happens very quickly.
- 6Remove each batch from the water with a slotted spoon into a bowl/container with a top over it to keep it warm.
- 7Drain any excess water from the cooked spatzle.
- 8Saute the cooked spatzle in a pan with butter, until it begins to turns golden brown and slightly crunchy.
- 9Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley.
Nutritional Facts for Biergarten Spatzle
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.3
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 335.6 mg
- Sodium 948.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 17.5 g