Prep 18 mins
Cook 3 mins
Do not over-crowd the pot, and make in small batches. This takes more time but produces a much better product. This restaurant at Disney was kind enough to share this with us. It is so simple, but excellent.
- 10 whole eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup semolina flour or 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Mix the all-purpose flour and semolina (corn meal) flour together then add the salt and incorporate well.
- Mix in the water and eggs until you have a firm but wet consistency.
- In a 10 quart pot, fill 3/4 quarters full with water add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and bring to a boil.
- Using a spatle press or a large-holed colander press the spatzle dough through the holes. Do this in small batches as not to over-crowd the pot of water.
- The spatzle will be cooked when it floats to the top of the water. This happens very quickly.
- Remove each batch from the water with a slotted spoon into a bowl/container with a top over it to keep it warm.
- Drain any excess water from the cooked spatzle.
- Saute the cooked spatzle in a pan with butter, until it begins to turns golden brown and slightly crunchy.
- Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley.
This was excellent. Really fun to make with my kids and very tasty. The only thing I did wrong was to put it all in the pan to fry at once. It really needs to be broken up and done a little at a time. We are having so much fun with recipezaar and great recipes like this one. Thank you for sharing.
This recipe deserves five stars except for one problem, the 3 T of salt. I'm sure it's a mistake as the finished dish was almost too salty to eat. Other than that, it was wonderful.