Recipe by Chrystabel
A friend of mine in the states recently asked for this recipe so I thought I would post my Americanized version here. Careful not to bake the cake too long or it will get dry. The reason it is called Bee Sting Cake is because honey is a traditional ingredient in the almond glaze. My absolute favorite German pastry of all time! Perfect for "Kaffee Klatsch" or as a special treat. Lecker!
Top Review by sarahbuddy11
Really bummed. I am a huge baker and was really excited to make this cake... I filling was running to the point that when you put the top layer on it all poured out! Will never make again! What a bummer!!
- 1 5⁄8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup lukewarm milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 5⁄8 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
Pastry Cream Filling
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake Layer:.
- Combine flour, yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, 3/4 cup milk, and 3 tablespoons butter.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 15 to 20 minutes. Place in a well greased bowl, and cover. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Punch down the dough. Roll out to a 1/2 inch thickness. Spread into a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Cover, and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter or margarine and confectioner's sugar in a saucepan. Add almonds and 1 tablespoon milk. Remove from heat, and stir in honey. Spread evenly and carefully onto the dough. Allow dough to continue to rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crust turns golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Pastry Cream Filling:.
- In a heavy saucepan, stir together the milk and 1/4 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and egg. Stir together the remaining sugar and cornstarch and then stir them into the egg until smooth.
- When the milk comes to a boil, drizzle it into the bowl in a thin stream while mixing so that you do not cook the eggs. Return the mixture to the saucepan, and slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly so the eggs do not curdle or scorch on the bottom.
- When the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, remove from the heat. Stir in the butter and vanilla, mixing until the butter is completely blended.
- Pour into a heat-proof container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled (at least one hour).
- Beat the whipping cream with the cream of tartar until stiff. Fold into the chilled pudding.
- Cut the cooled almond cake into 1 1/2 x 2 inch rectangles. Slice each horizontally into halves. Fill with vanilla pudding mixture, chill, and serve cold.