Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Better Homes and Gardens
Make and share this Bibimbap recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons chili paste (Korean Gochujang is traditional)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 (6 ounce) rib eye steaks, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 cups very thinly sliced seedless cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped scallion
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, untoasted
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 lb fresh spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh julienned carrots or 1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coarsely shredded daikon radish
- *Note--This dish is a platter of cooked rice topped with vegetables, meat, chili paste, and eggs.
- The ingredients are placed next to each other instead of layered so that the bright colors complement each other. Right before the dish is eaten, the ingredients are all tossed together.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil over med-high heat.
- Stir in rice; cover.
- Decrease heat to med-low and simmer for 12 minutes (or however long it takes the rice to cook, look on package ).
- Remove from heat and let stand.
- In a small bowl whisk together chili paste, vinegar, honey, and toasted sesame oil.
- If necessary, add a little water to make mixture of drizzling consistency.
- Brush steaks with 1 tablespoon of the chile paste mixture; set steaks aside.
- In a small bowl combine the cucumber, scallions, and 1 teaspoon of the chili paste mixture; season lightly with additional salt and set aside.
- Transfer hot cooked rice to a large platter.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook and stir the bean sprouts for 1 minute.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the sprouts to a medium bowl, shaking off the excess water.
- While still warm, add 2 teaspoons of the untoasted sesame oil and the ginger; toss to coat.
- Transfer to the rice-lined platter.
- In the same pot of water cook and stir spinach about 10 seconds or just until cooked.
- Drain in a colander.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess water and coarsely chop.
- Transfer to a medium bowl; add sesame seeds and lightly season with salt.
- Toss to coat and transfer to platter next to sprouts.
- In a medium skillet heat 1 teaspoon of the remaining untoasted sesame oil over med-high heat.
- Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add carrots; cook and stir about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; transfer to platter next to sprouts.
- In same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the remaining untoasted sesame oil over med-high heat.
- Add mushrooms; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until just tender; stir in 1 teaspoon of the chili paste mixture.
- Transfer to platter next to carrots.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the remaining untoasted sesame oil over med-high heat.
- Add steaks; decrease heat to medium.
- Cook about 7 minutes, turning once, or until desired doneness.
- Remove to a cutting board and cover with foil.
- Add cucumber mixture to skillet; cook and stir just until heated through; add to platter.
- In same skillet add remaining sesame oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add eggs; cook 1-2 minutes or until yolks are just set.
- Arrange daikon on platter.
- Thinly slice the beef and arrange over vegetables.
- Top with eggs and drizzle with 1 tablespoon chili paste mixture.
- To serve at the dinner table, toss all together, breaking up eggs.
- Serve with remaining chili paste mixture.