Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This is a simple but tasty recipe that belonged to my Mother-in-law. She has passed away now just a month short of her 93rd birthday. I want to keep her recipes safe. To my DH they are comfort and home.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I changed to add a can of low sodium beef broth when I boiled the soup bone and skipped the bouillon cube as I must watch my sodium intake. I also used cole slaw mix for the cabbage as I'm not handy with a knife anymore since my stroke. I loved the barley too. This is a nice simple soup perfect for a chilly day. Thanks for posting Dreamer. Made for Celebrating National Diabetes Month.
- 1 meaty beef bone
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1 large onion, whole
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef bouillon cube
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil beef bone and onion in soup pot filled half way with water for 20 minutes.
- Add barley and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove beef bone and cut off cooked meat.
- Chop meat into small pieces and return to pot.
- Add carrot and cabbage.
- Simmer until carrot is tender.