Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a simple but tasty recipe that belonged to my Mother-in-law. She has passed away now just a month short of her 93rd birthday. I want to keep her recipes safe. To my DH they are comfort and home.
- Boil beef bone and onion in soup pot filled half way with water for 20 minutes.
- Add barley and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove beef bone and cut off cooked meat.
- Chop meat into small pieces and return to pot.
- Add carrot and cabbage.
- Simmer until carrot is tender.
I changed to add a can of low sodium beef broth when I boiled the soup bone and skipped the bouillon cube as I must watch my sodium intake. I also used cole slaw mix for the cabbage as I'm not handy with a knife anymore since my stroke. I loved the barley too. This is a nice simple soup perfect for a chilly day. Thanks for posting Dreamer. Made for Celebrating National Diabetes Month.
Made exactly as posted for the Stone Soup Tag Game. I'd never used barley in my cabbage soup before but I enjoyed the addition. A very tasty treat on a cold winter's day.