Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is a traditional cookie from my MIL family. This is from Switerand. Our nickname for these is "diaper cookies". The key to these cookies is that the dough must be handled as warm as possible. It must be done quickly before it cools down. It will harden at room temperature. MIL says absolutely "DO NOT Double this recipe" This should be made 1 month before you want to eat them. They are stored in a tin for a month to soften.
- 2 cups honey
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons anise
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 3 -4 cups nuts, chopped finely
- Beat egg wites until stiff. Add sugar and nuts gradually.
- Heat honey and sugar, bring to a boil.
- Take off heat and add flour and spices.
- Quickly roll out and cut into triangle shapes.
- Put small amt of filling in center of each triangle and fold up edges.
- Dough must be worked quickly and kept warm during rolling and filling process.
- Bake about 15-20 minutes at 350Â°F.
- Store in airtight container at least 4 weeks. A piece of bread or apple will hasten ripening.