Recipe by Barb G.
This very easy to make bread salad comes courtesy of Biba's Restaurant. I used whole wheat sour dough French bread, red and yellow tomatoes for color. Chill time not included.
- 1⁄2 lb coarse textured bread, 2 to 3 days old
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 10 -12 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Break bread into pieces, place in bowl and add cold water to barely cover; soak for about 5 minutes.
- Drain bread and squeeze out as much of the water as possible with you hands; crumble the bread into a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, cucumber, onion and basil; season with salt and pepper, Add the oil and the vinegar and mix well to combine.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning; chill salad in the refrigerator for about 1 hour before serving, enjoy.