Recipe by TGirl,RN
I found this recipe written on an old telephone bill envelope, so I figured I had better post it before it got lost for good! Recipe from Biba's Italian Kitchen TV show.
Top Review by Renie 77
I was sooooo happy to see this recipe. I copied it years ago from Biba's TV show but had lost it.Thanks TGirl,RN. This is the day before my b'day and we had invested in veal shanks so now I won't be nervous about how they will turn out.
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄2 cup water, hot
- 4 veal shanks
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, combine dried mushrooms and hot water.
- Allow mushrooms to reconstitute, making sure to save the liquid!
- Season veal with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in deep skillet, and brown veal shanks on both sides, adding more oil as needed.
- Remove veal from pan, add diced vegetables and mushrooms, cook for for 5-10 minutes or until browned, adding more oil if needed.
- Return veal to pan, add wine and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Be sure to scrape up any brown bits off the bottom of the pan--that's where the flavor is!
- Add mushroom water, tomato sauce, and chicken broth.
- Simmer on very low heat for at least 45 minutes, or bake at 325 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hours, or until veal is fork tender.
- Serve over creamy polenta, rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles.