Recipe by JoAnimal
This is a traditional Sicilian dessert. My mother taught me this version. It is alternating layers of cornstarch pudding and pound cake. Served cold.
- 4 cups whole milk, warmed
- 1⁄2 cup cold whole milk
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces frozen pound cake
- ground cinnamon
- 1 large chocolate bar, to make shavings for garnishing
Directions See How It's Made
- In large, heavy saucepan, scald milk (do not boil). Turn down heat.
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl with a spout, combine cold milk with cornstarch until mixed.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and salt to the cold milk mixture.
- Gradually add the cold milk mixture to the hot milk in the saucepan, stirring constantly. Slowly cook over low heat until the mixture thickens enough to coat the spoon.
- Slice the pound cake into thin slices (this is easier if it is still a little frozen).
- In a glass dish, layer the pudding with the pound cake, sprinkling each layer of pound cake with the frangelico and cinnamon before adding the next layer of pudding.
- Top with chocolate shavings - use a vegetable peeler along the edge of a large, room temperature chocolate bar.
- Let cool in refrigerator until set - at least 2 hours.