There's a small Korean restaurant near the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor where they make this dish on Tuesdays only. The line goes out the door. I tried a dozen different recipes until I found this one, which is pretty close to the Tuesday special. There are three parts to this recipe: the main dish, the marinade, and Kochujang sauce
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 18 ounces chicken breasts
- 6 eggs, separated
- 12 ounces carrots, julienned
- 12 ounces cucumbers, julienned
- 12 ounces spinach, cooked and shredded
- sesame oil, as needed
- salt, pepper to taste
- 6 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped white scallion
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1/4 cup chili bean paste (kochujang)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Make the marinade: Combine 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup minced garlic, 1/4 cup chopped white scallion, 3 tablespoons toasted, crushed sesame seeds and pepper to taste.
- 2Cut chicken breasts into small pieces, matchstick sized.
- 3Let rest at least 2 hours in marinade -- refrigerated.
- 4Season egg yolks with salt. Beat until smooth.
- 5Lightly oil and heat nonstick pan over medium flame.
- 6Cook yolks crêpe-style. Transfer crêpes to. sheet pan to cool.
- 7Repeat process with egg whites. (If necessary, add small. amount of cornstarch-water mixture to keep whites smooth.).
- 8Julienne white and yellow crêpes. Reserve.
- 9Season carrots and cucumber with salt. Set aside 5 minutes. Rinse; pat dry. Saute in sesame oil. Reserve.
- 10Stir-fry spinach in sesame oil. Reserve.
- 11Arrange chicken, egg, vegetables around rice.
- 12Make Kochujang sauce: combine 1/4 cup kochujang (chile-bean paste), 2 tablespoon sugar and 1 tablespoon water in saucepan. Heat to boil, stirring constantly.
- 13Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture reduces, 3-5 minutes.
- 14Serve Kochujang sauce with the Bi Bim Bap.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bi Bim Bap (Korean)
Serving Size: 1 (584 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.9
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 265.9 mg
- Sodium 2902.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 42.8 g
- Protein 36.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili bean paste