This is MY version of Bhindi Masala. I love Indian food & have tweaked a recipe that I originally found at ManjulasKitchen.com. The original version of this recipe is quite delicious and I highly recommend that you try it. I originally modified the recipe because my garden was producing an over-abundance of okra, cherry tomatoes and long beans. It's probably not very "authentic" since my modifications, but it still tastes good! I have made this dish dozens of times... Manjula's version, my version or a hybrid of both. If there's an ingredient you don't like, leave it out. If you'd like to add or substitute something, do it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida powder (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 lb okra (sliced into 1/2 inch rounds)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander (dhania)
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- 2 tablespoons flour (chana flour or besan)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup long beans (cut in 1 inch pieces)
- 1 cup chicken stock (or tomato sauce)
- 1Heat oil in a skillet on med/high.
- 2Add the cumin seeds and asafoetida, stir for one minute.
- 3Add the okra and long beans, stir for one minute.
- 4Reduce heat to medium and cover for 3-4 minutes.
- 5Add the coriander, cayenne and turmeric. Stir and cover for 2-3 minutes.
- 6Add the flour, stir well.
- 7Add the tomatoes and bell peppers, stir and cover for 2-3 minutes.
- 8Add the salt, mango powder, stir thoroughly.
- 9Add chicken stock or tomato sauce and stir, bring to a boil.
- 10Turn off heat & re-cover for another 2 minutes.
- 11Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bhindi Masala (Spicy Okra)
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.4
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 1.8 mg
- Sodium 680.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: