1/2 Photos of Bhindi Bhaji (Fried Stuffed Okra)
Has a subtle flavor enhanced by the spices here. Serve as part of a vegetarian meal with dal, rice bread, raita and chutney, or even still just as a side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, plus
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb okra, trimmed
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
- 2 lemons, quartered for garnish
- 1In a small bowl combine the chili powder, turmeric, coriander, and salt.
- 2With a sharp knife, cut lengthwise slit in each okra pod, taking care not to cut completely through.
- 3Stuff each pod with a little of the spice mixture.
- 4In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over high heat.
- 5Add onions and cook, stirring constantly, 12 minutes, or until browned.
- 6Reduce the heat to low and add the okra.
- 7Add the water if the mixture seems to dry.
- 8Cook covered 10 minutes, or until the okra is tender but still retains it's color.
- 9Serve garnished with fresh coriander and lemons.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bhindi Bhaji (Fried Stuffed Okra)
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.2
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 329.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 4.0 g