Has a subtle flavor enhanced by the spices here. Serve as part of a vegetarian meal with dal, rice bread, raita and chutney, or even still just as a side dish.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, plus
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb okra, trimmed
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups roughly chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
- 2 lemons, quartered for garnish
- In a small bowl combine the chili powder, turmeric, coriander, and salt.
- With a sharp knife, cut lengthwise slit in each okra pod, taking care not to cut completely through.
- Stuff each pod with a little of the spice mixture.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over high heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring constantly, 12 minutes, or until browned.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the okra.
- Add the water if the mixture seems to dry.
- Cook covered 10 minutes, or until the okra is tender but still retains it's color.
- Serve garnished with fresh coriander and lemons.
This recipe is so simple and quick to make. I served it with rotis. Thanks for sharing.
I didnt know how to edit my earlier review so am posting another one. I also add grated ginger and garlic to this. Inorder to avoid the hassle of trimming and chopping okra, I use frozen okra. I microwave it for about 5-7 minutes before adding it.
I adore okra, I adore this recipe, and I adore Grovinchicken for posting it. Superb flavor. The most unusual okra recipe in my collection and maybe, the best.