- 1 tablespoon chili powder, plus
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb okra, trimmed
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups roughly chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
- 2 lemons, quartered for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combine the chili powder, turmeric, coriander, and salt.
- With a sharp knife, cut lengthwise slit in each okra pod, taking care not to cut completely through.
- Stuff each pod with a little of the spice mixture.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over high heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring constantly, 12 minutes, or until browned.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the okra.
- Add the water if the mixture seems to dry.
- Cook covered 10 minutes, or until the okra is tender but still retains it's color.
- Serve garnished with fresh coriander and lemons.