Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe in BHG while taking my mom to the doctor. This will be an impressive dessert. I love chocolate and cherries together. You could also use a chocolate box cake and just do the frosting part if running short on time.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 6×2-inch round cake pans or springform pans. Mix 1 teaspoon each flour and cocoa powder; dust pans. Set pans aside.
- 2. In bowl combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- 3. In large bowl with electric mixer beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sour cream and flour mixture. Pour batter in pans; spread evenly.
- 4. Bake 22 to 26 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on rack.
- 5. Use serrated knife to horizontally cut cakes in half to make 4 layers total. Place bottom layer on plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat with layers. Place top layer on cake. Heap remaining frosting, swirling in peaks. Refrigerate.
- 6. Cherry Frosting: In chilled large mixing bowl combine one 8-ounce carton sour cream. 1 cup whipping cream (do not use ultra-pasteurized whipping cream), 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice. Beat with chilled beaters on medium-high until fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- I will garnish with some chopped well drained cherries as well.