Prep 7 hrs 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
i love bhatura because of the crunchy taste. it is a bread i can eat. i have heart problem and have to watch what carbs i take in. bhatura is light and is good for people who can not have salt. this bread is made mostly in India.
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour, plus a little extra flour for dusting
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- a little vegetable oil, for brushing on dough
- vegetable oil, enough to have 21/2 inches in pot (for deep frying)
- Mix the cup of flour (sifted),baking powder and egg in bowl.
- Add the yogurt to mixture to form a soft dough.
- knead dough 10 minutes.
- form into a ball.
- Brush with oil.
- Cover with warm damp cloth and keep in a warm place 3 hours.
- Knead dough again.
- Put oil in wok and allow oil time to get smoking hot.
- divide dough into small balls.
- Cover with damp cloth.
- Roll out each ball into a thin pancake and drop it in smoking oil.
- While it is cooking press down on it gently with back of slotted spoon.
- it will puff up.
- Turn it over and brown other side lightly.
- Do all other pancakes the same way.