Recipe by mollypaul
A lively-flavored shrimp dish from our local paper. Serve with rice. Mustard oil is available at stores that carry a selection of Indian foods.
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds or 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, finely slivered
- 1 tablespoon green chili, finely slivered
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind mustard seeds to a powder.
- Place into a large bowl.
- Add turmeric and water; put into a bowl large enough to accommodate shrimp.
- Stir into a paste and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet to smoking point.
- Cool and pour over the mustard/turmeric paste.
- Add the ginger, chilies and salt; mix well.
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry.
- Toss thoroughly in the mustard mixture.
- Transfer to a steamer container and cover tightly with foil.
- Set up the steamer,.
- When the water comes to a boil, place the dish inside and steam 20 to 25 minutes.