Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This dish is da bomb! Once I tried it, I knew I'd never need to look for another macaroni & cheese recipe. From Zondervan's Beyond Macaroni & Cheese (Lagerborg and Parks 1998)
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, boiled and drained
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned croutons, crushed
- Combine macaroni, butter, and egg in a large mixing bowl.
- Dissolve salt and mustard in hot water; stir into macaroni.
- Mix in cheese, reserving enough for topping.
- Lightly spray a 2-qt casserole dish with no-stick cooking spray; pour in macaroni; pour milk evenly over macaroni; top with croutons and remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until custard is set and top is crusty.
- This macaroni and cheese is best baked for about 25 minutes, removed from the oven, topped with croutons and cheese, then returned to the oven to finish baking. Doing this keeps the topping a nice (not overdone) golden-brown.
- NOTE: 8 ounces elbow macaroni equals 2 cups before cooking. I often use rounded cups of dry macaroni when making this recipe.
Very, very good....and easy, too! We gobbled this up quickly. I particularly enjoyed the seasoned crouton topping. I appreciated the instructions in step 6; that was very helpful in not overbaking the top. Thanx for sharing this. We'll be eating this again.
I made this last night for myself and my two sons. There were no leftovers! It was great. Loved the addition of the crushed croutons on top. Much, much easier, neater and less time consuming than making a cheese sauce, as I usually do! Thanks for a great recipe!
Let me start by saying I love just about every Macaroni and Cheese dish around! So my review may be a little biased...lol This was quick and easy to make. As normal with most recipes that use cheddar, the sauce did separate a little and become just a little clumpy. This does not bother me at all, but I know some people are turned off my Mac'n'Cheese that is not really creamy, so I mention it.