Clipped this one from BH&G years ago, finally got around to making it recently, and the whole family decided it was a keeper! Zesty and sweet at the same time, with interesting additions.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 -2 large garlic clove, minced (or pressed)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 4 medium chicken breasts, boneless
- steak sauce
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 8 cups greens (lettuce, romaine, spinach)
- 3⁄4 cup red grapes, halved
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- DRESSING: In a small container with a lid, combine dressing ingredients; cover and shake well; set aside for about 1 hour.
- SALAD: Sprinkle breasts with steak sauce; let rest for 15-30 minutes.
- Toast the pine nuts in a cast-iron skillet or in the oven--to golden brown; set aside.
- Grill or broil chicken breasts (12-15 minutes) until tender and no longer pink--turning once; cool slightly.
- Arrange greens on four plates, top with grapes, cheese and nuts.
- Slice each breast width-wise, arrange on each salad.
- Shake dressing agrain and drizzle over each salad.
- SUBSTITUTIONS: Other nuts will do fine for the pine-nuts. Try Bleu cheese instead of the Feta--it's a whole different salad then!
I love this salad. The dressing has a great flavor - and I didn't even let it sit for an hour - too hungry! I used romaine alone, but would have been better with a mix of lettuces. Thanks for posting!
Made these for dinner tonight with some left over chicken from the night before. The dressing was pretty good, I added a lot more garlic since I adore it and more feta as well! Scaled it down to two people. I'll try agian with bleu cheese next.