Recipe by Recipe Junkie
This is a recipe from Bill Snyder, famed as "America's Most Recorded Pianist". Among his many credits as a recording artist, is his first record, "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered", a song sung by American Idol Season Five contestant, Kelly Pickler. I got this recipe out of a church cookbook.
- 2 lbs trimmed beef shank or 2 lbs veal shanks
- 2 lbs onions, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped gingerroot
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour, to thicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut meat into bite size pieces.
- Chop onions and place into a 2 quart saucepan with olive oil.
- After onions are sweated, add meat to pan and brown lightly.
- Add chicken or beef stock, ginger and tomato.
- Simmer, covered for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours until meat is tender.
- Cool in fridge, overnight.
- Remove chilled fat from top and bring to a simmer. [Putting ice cubes in the pan will pick up the fat.].
- Add sour cream to pan.
- Thicken with 2 T flour with a little water added to make a thin paste.
- Serve over rice or spaetzles.
- Spaetzles can be purchased in most grocery stores under the brand name 'Macci'.