Recipe by Bev
After doing a search for tomato sauce and not finding exactly what I was looking for, I came up with this tasty little concoction. It very simple, and you probably have all the ingredients on hand.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano (or 1 TBS fresh, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon basil (or 1 TBS fresh, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy sauce pan heat olive oil, over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add garlic and carrot and continue cooking until garlic just begins to turn color.
- Add crushed tomato and tomato paste, bring to a boil.
- Add bay leaves, basil, oregano, salt and pepper (to taste).
- Add Marsala wine and water, return to boil.
- Stir in sun-dried tomato.
- After returing to a boil, turn down heat to simmer.
- Allow to simmer while stirring every now and then for about 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Adjust spices to suit your taste.
- Serves 4-6.