1/4 Photos of Bev's Own Stewed Apples
When fall rolls around, I find I have a craving for my mom's stewed apples. She never followed a recipe, but would somehow always manage to whip up the most flavorful apples you ever tasted! In an effort to recreate my mom's stewed apples, I came up with this recipe. We would usually have this as a side dish with supper, replacing applesauce. However, it would also be delicious served as a dessert with vanilla ice cream or over gingerbread or pound cake with a little whipped cream. I hope you will enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a 10" skillet (w/lid) melt butter over medium heat; turn off heat.
- 2Mix in sugar and brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and add 1/2 cup water, stirring to combine.
- 3Bring mixture to a boil and allow to boil until beginning to thicken.
- 4Reduce heat to medium; stir in apple slices, turning to coat.
- 5Cook over medium to medium high heat 4-5 minutes, stirring, allowing sauce to continue to thicken.
- 6Reduce heat to low, cover apples and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, another 5-10 minutes, adding more water if necessary, until apples are tender (cooking time will depend on the thickness of your apple slices).
- 7Sauce will thicken as it cools.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bev's Own Stewed Apples
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.7
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 95.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 74.2 g
- Protein 0.7 g