Recipe by Bev
This is the recipe I have been using for Macaroni and Cheese since the beginning of time! Truly a classic and a staple on our family table. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. A great side dish to be served with my Meatloaf Barbecue Style!
Top Review by SaraFish
This is divine! I've never made macaroni and cheese from scratch and this is so delicious! I followed the recipe for the sauce exactly except for adding a little more cheese in the sauce then it calls for (because we like extra-cheesy food). It was perfect - lightly tangy and very flavorful. I think the dry mustard really makes it taste so good (although it doesn't taste like mustard at all). I used mild cheddar cheese and skim milk and I can't say enough about how good it came out. The only gray area for me was the measurement of the macaroni. I believe it should read 8 ounces dry macaroni (then cook it) rather than 8 ounces of cooked macaroni. And actually it made so much sauce that I was able to use a whole 12 ounce package of rotini pasta. Super good - a real keeper. I'll make this over and over again! Thanks, Bev!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces dry elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thickened (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese until melted.
- Combine cheese mixture with macaroni in greased 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Makes 6 servings.