During the '70's when I was an Assistant Manager at some apartments in Arlington the older couple who were the managers there took us under their wing. Cleo was a great cook and when she made homemade soup she always added a dab of butter and a tiny amount of hot sauce to the soup. She preferred chopped sirloin to ground meat, but we couldn't afford the chopped sirloin so I used ground meat, I still do, and I still like to add that little bit of butter and a shot of hot sauce. This is one of those recipes I change up a lot. Sometimes I use 3 cans of the small cut, sometimes 1 large cut and 2 small.
- Brown ground meat with chopped onion, drain well.
- Add the vegetables (I don't drain them), tomato juice and salt & pepper to taste.
- Add onion soup mix, butter and hot sauce.
- Just a tiny amount of hot sauce will do. I simmer on very low for at least 4 hours.
- Serve with Jiffy Brand (my favorite) corn bread.