Recipe by petcanu
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. They freeze well for a quick meal later on. Prep and cooking times are approximate since I usually quadruple the recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 2 slices bread, top crust removed
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 potato, cooked and mashed (left over mashed potatoes can be used)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (1 ounce) packets brown gravy mix (approximate size)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, soak bread in water.
- Squeeze out the excess water from the bread and put the bread into a large bowl.
- To the bread, add ground beef, egg, onion, mashed potato, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Shape into small meatballs(I use a medium size Pampered Chef scoop for this).
- At this point you can cook them in a pan on the stove, bake in an oven at 350 or even use a George Forman grill(they will get a little flattened). You are cooking them until they are no longer pink in the middle. Depending on how you cook them, cooking time will vary. I use a GF grill and it takes about 5 minutes.
- Cool and freeze in quart size zippy bags. Our family of 4 eats about 15 in a meal so I freeze them in bags of 15 or 20 depending on if I want any leftovers(no one will eat the leftovers except me).
- To serve, I make brown gravy using a packet, add the frozen meatballs and heat through til they are hot and no longer frozen.