Recipe by Bev
White Sauce with Cream: for steak, fish or vegetables. You have to try this one! From Gourmet, 1999.
Top Review by Mommy Diva
Divine sauce - delicate and just stunning in flavor! I made this for some steamed veggies and it was terrific!!! I will definitely use this AGAIN!! Thank you Bev! **Went to Market 2007**
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 -5 drops fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut butter into small pieces and chill.
- In a small heavy saucepan simmer wine, vinegar, and shallot over moderate heat until liquid is reduced to about 1 tablespoon, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream and simmer mixture until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add butter a few pieces at a time, whisking and adding more before previous pieces are fully incorporated (mixture will be creamy and pale).
- Remove pan from heat and pour sauce through a fine sieve into a sauceboat, pressing on solids.
- Season sauce with lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Serve sauce immediately.