1/1 Photo of Betty's Turkey Meatball Soup
Ms. Ayon's dishes's Note:
When your body needs a natural boost, nothing beats a warm bowl of soup. It's nutritious and filling at the same time, without taking away from the flavor this meal brings to your palate. Deliciossso!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground turkey, 93% lean
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 poblano peppers, diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1Line a large baking sheet with wax paper.
- 2Place turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bow. Mix gently until combined. Shape the mixture into 1 1/2 balls and transfer to the baking sheet. (You should have about 20 meatballs.) Place in the refrigerator and chill for at least 20 minutes or until ready to use.
- 3Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add peppers, tomatoes, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 4Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5Carefully submerge the meatballs in the simmering soup; return to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Garnish with jalapeno and cilantro.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Betty's Turkey Meatball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.3
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 94.9 mg
- Sodium 757.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs